About

The Camp Kawanhee archives span from the camp’s founding in 1920 to the present day. They consist of camp publications such as catalogs and the Wigwam, documents, photographs and objects that have been donated and saved by campers, staff members and alumni alike. In 2010, Camp Kawanhee established a history museum with the generous contributions of Stephen and Diana Yale. The Yales, in addition to Michael Altmaier and Tom Pears, have been instrumental in the design, curation and upkeep of the museum.

Currently, the museum is beginning the process of digitization. This website, designed by Eliza Graumlich in 2017, is intended to make the camp archives increasingly accessible to alumni and campers alike. Maine Memory Network, Maine’s online history museum, also hosts some of the camp archives (coming soon).

This hand-colored photograph was captured from the dining hall porch in the early 1930s and first published in the 1933 camp catalog. According to the caption, “The ‘Kawanian,’ shown at the right is used exclusively by boys who are lake swimmers. Each boy receives a course of instruction in the care and running of the engine and is privileged to operate it after satisfactory tests are passed.” Donated by Betty Frank.